Why Learn Thai Yoga?
Anthony B James DNM(C), ND, MD(AM), DOM(C), DPHC(h.c.), PhD, RAC, SMOKH
The most important reason is to be able to experience and share the documented traditional outcomes and benefits of the practice. Developed for thousands of years in the ancient traditional Buddhist and Ayurveda healing centers of Thailand and South East Asia Thai Traditional Medicine: Thai Traditional Massage and Thai Ayurveda continues to develop as an elegant, evolving internationally recognized traditional medicine.
The primary benefits traditionally were spiritual, psychological and emotional in nature. They are based on the concept of “Promiiwiihan Sii” or Four Boundless/ unlimited States of Mind and Being: Love, Compassion, Joy and Equanimity. The secondary physical/ structural and practical, healing and or medical benefits to learn Thai Yoga and to share and practice as an expert are almost too many to list! We can say truthfully that to learn Traditional Thai Yoga , as a true alternative medicine is a great alternative to massage therapy and or allopathic medicine in most instances.
Please note: when we say “Traditional Thai Yoga or a style such as SomaVeda® Thai Yoga” we mean styles or traditional based systems which incorporate the full gamut of traditional remedies including but not limited to: Spiritual, Mental, Emotional and physical with emphasis on all areas of life such as Mindfulness and Puja, Sacred Nutrition and eating strategies for medicinal food and balancing diets, use of all medicinal herbs and conjunctive strategies using foods, herbs, aromatics, minerals, salts, water & juices accompanied with both facilitated and self meditation, Yoga (Reusi Dotton) and hands on. One good example of a complex traditional therapy is Nuat Prakhop Samun Prai or Thai Herbal Poultice or Herb Balls conjunctive with Thai Yoga Chirothesia (hands on).
The list below is not comprehensive and is growing daily as new scientific research comes to light!
General Benefits of Integrative Indigenous and Traditional Therapies Treatment adjuncts: Thai Yoga Therapy and or Thai Massage
- Anyone can do it.
- Helps with weight management (stimulates metabolic processes)
- Do not require special equipment
- Can be done virtually anywhere in any clinical or home environment
- Is a great way to patients to be more active and engaged in active lifestyle.
- As good for the practitioner as it is for the receiver
- Practically expresses loving kindness (Promiiwihan Sii)
- The practice can be an expression of compassion
- Reduces symptoms of anxiety, stress and depression (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
- enhances the function of the parasympathetic nervous system and other stress-related variables (1)
- Beneficial effect on Autistic Children’s behavior (1, 2)
- Low impact exercise
- Lowers low-density liprotein (LDL) cholesterol (”bad” cholersterol)
- Raises high-density lipoprotein
(HDL) cholesterol (the “Good” cholesterol)
- Helps normalize blood sugar levels (1, 2, 3, )
- Boosts immune system, helps increase resistance to infection (1, 2, 3, )
- Lupus, autoimmune syndrome support and adjunct treatment and improves immune function (1, 2)
- Lowers blood pressure (Reduces muscle tension)(1, 2, 3, 4, )
- Increases range of motion and reduces resistance to motion (PNF)
- May reduce risk of some cancers (Static Lymph and or site toxic)
- TTM Traditional Herbal remedies proven to kill Head and Neck Cancer (1, 2)
- Improves cellular immunity in Colorectal cancer patients receiving chemotherapy (1)
- Assist in management of type 2 diabetes (1)
- Significantly reduces Peripheral Neuropathy in Diabetic Patients (1, 2)
- Significantly reduces Chronic Pain (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
- Increase bone density, resorbtion, formation by stressing connective tissue and “bending the bones” (1, 2, 3)
- Practice causes NO harm to world ecosystem
- Increases lean muscle mass
- Flow practice improve cardiovascular fitness
- Activates experience of Joy
- Integrates mind, body and spirit
- Reduces risk of heart attack
- Supports community
- Increases tendon and connective tissue density and elasticity
- Virtual cure for many soft tissue/ connective tissue disorder (Fibromyalgia, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome)(1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
- Reduces, improves hand mobility for Scleraderma patients (1)
- Effective in reducing Migrane Headache severity (1, 2)
- Promotes health related fitness, bone formation and quality of life in menopausal women (1, 2, 3)
- Increases tendon and connective tissue extensibility. Strengthens extensor and support ligaments in breast tissue thus correcting sedentary/ non-ambulatory based atrophy and decrepitude.
- Reduces and or eliminates active / latent Trigger Points and equalize/ reduce areas of low oxygen, chronic inflammation and high neurologic activity. (1, 2, 3, 4)
- Can be done “hands Free”
- Can be done in groups and or in less than private surroundings
- Improves physical fitness and performance in athletes (1, 2, 3, 4)
- Increases relaxation and decreases anxiety and pain in Scapulacostal Syndrome patients (1, 2)
- Equally helpful for infants, geriatrics (1, 2)
- Decreases Spasticity and aids in rehabilitation in elderly stroke patients (1, 2, 3)
- Addresses nutritional and food issues and increase nutrient motility (1, 2, 3, 4, )
- May alleviate oxidative stress and improve antioxident system (1, 2)
- Effective treatment for Repetitive Stress Disorders (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
- Can address and support treatment for infertility
- May improve mental and emotional/ psychological/ neuro-emotional issues (1, 2, 3, 4)
- Facilitates Birth and Delivery, May reduce Postpartum hemorrhage after vaginal delivery (1, 2)
- May reduce Post Partum Depression (1, 2, 3)
- Can facilitate, assist release of afterbirth (1)
- Reduces pain, particularly soft tissue, joint, back, low back and neck pain (1, 2, 3, 4 )
- Integrates and supports proper alignment of all structural parts of the body without ballistics or force. (Non ballistic, non- specific, facilitated, passive assisted, natural range of motion supporting nominal osseous structural alignment)
- Sharing facilitates nurturing and community values.
- Effective lymphatic Drainage modality, reducing and or eliminating static lymph, lymphadosis/ lymphadema.
(Acts as a Complex Decongestive Therapy: CDT especially beneficial post surgery)
- Reduces and or eliminates cystic and or fibrotic syndromes and corresponding nodules
- Reduces toxicity and stagnation in breast tissue and surrounding areas.
- Effective in treating TMJ (temporal, Mandibular Cranial and Jaw Dysfunction) (1, 2, 3)
- Helpful in reducing dependence and or eliminating psychiatric medications for various disorders.
- Increases happiness and a general sense of well being for receivers and therapist/ counselors alike.
- More effective than OTC in symptomatic treatment of Osteo arthritus pain (1, 2, 3, 4)
- May improve activities of daily living, mood and sleep patterns, and pain intensity of stroke patients over time. (1)
- Can be performed on a Portable Massage Chair (1, 2, 3)
- Based on genuine Indigenous, Traditional, Native, Tribal, Familial and or Natural spiritual and vitality based medicine systems and philosophies. (Native American (North and South American), Traditional Thai Medicine, Classical Ayurveda, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Indian Naturopathy/ Homeopathy.
- Reduces Pain of Chronic Tension Headaches (1)
- Is by definition a form of Chirothesia/ Laying on of Hands health care (1)
- Religious Practitioners May be legal to practice without a Medical and or Massage License (1, 2, 3, )
- Mostly anecdotal however, new scientific research supports the knowledge, wisdom and practical solutions for suffering, injury, disease and the promotion and maintenance of well being passed down directly to our practitioners and ministers directly through our elders through hundreds of generations.
For more information on educational materials by this author see the bookstore at ( http://www.BeardedMedia.Com ) If you think your friends would benefit from this information please have them subscribe to our newsletter!
For information on SomaVeda® Thai Yoga Practitioner Certification Program Click Here!
All Information is provided for educational purposes only and not intended to be used for any therapeutic purpose, neither is it intended to diagnose, prevent, treat or cure any disease. Please consult a health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions. While all attempts have been made to ensure the accuracy of this information. The author and SomaVeda.org does not accept any responsibility for any errors or omissions.
Copyright© 2015, Anthony B. James, All rights reserved under International and Pan American copyright conventions. World rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying and recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher. Inquires should be addressed to: Anthony B. James, 5401 Saving Grace Ln. Brooksville, FL 34602 · http://www.ThaiYogaCenter.Com
SomaVeda Integrated Traditional Therapies®, SomaVeda® are a Federally Registered Trademark/ Servicemark and proprietary Intellectual Property, All World Rights Reserved.